19 June, 2019

You Didn’t Have To Do That

‘I suppose in the end, the whole of life becomes an act of letting go, but what always hurts the most is not taking a moment to say goodbye.’ – Piscine “Pi” Molitor Patel, Life of Pi

Words often fail to express
messages that can only flow from your heart to mine
and one such message came to me
When you hugged me for the last time

Away from the world, under the stars
Amongst friends, alone at last
The only witness – the cake between us
the only words, ‘you didn’t have to do that’

And you hugged me close and I held you tight
Knowing, this was but the last night
But deep down inside I knew this’d be the first of many
When my world would be bereft of light

Holding you close, I heard my heartbeats calling out
Hearing your words, I heard them tearing apart
I vowed never to see or hear you ever again
But what is honor compared to a man’s love?

Perhaps your words, painful as they may have been
were much needed for me to go on
Sure I’ll miss my angel with the broken wing
But I guess they’re someone else’s to mend hereon

Who struggles to pose in pictures and lives to make life large
Perhaps my world wasn’t big enough
to contain soulmates, as different as us

So now only you would remain in it, for a while I’m sure
For I may have lost the key, but I’ll get a new door
Perhaps you’d come again, perhaps you won’t
If you do, get a new key, this heart isn’t for rent anymore

Loving you I learnt, what a struggle it is to care
To love to fear to smile to despair
For the worst prison on Earth isn’t the one that kills the soul
The worst prison is the one that poisons with hope

And a note to the new gardener of the flower that was once mine
to the one who shall possess a Beautiful Mind so divine
Do not mistake her freedom for rashness
do not stop her from being her own self
For if you can’t hug her in the dead of the night
when she has returned, fighting battles inside
and looks to you for a hug and a kiss and a cuddle goodnight
If you can’t bring her chocolate cake without a question
If you can’t tell her you love her with all her flaws
If you don’t believe that your love will free her from herself
If you can’t love her, beyond all the anger you’re bound to feel
Then I suggest you dare not take up the mantle
My Monster is not the easiest of women
She’s the fire that can light up your world, or burn it down
She’s the light that can shine with glory, or turn you blind
She’s the drop that gives life, or wreaks havoc
Her smile can last you a lifetime, or make you wish to die
My Monster, is not the easiest of women
She is, however, the most woman of women

Vishal Gupta
16th June, 2019