09 June, 2019

West-coast Sunrise

Dedicated to a friend I made recently.

West-coast Sunrise

I woke up early this morning
to savor a west-coast sunrise
I know the rising Sun shall delude me
but the changing colors of the sky
on the horizon is a beautiful sight

The color of the sky is dark greyish blue
and it is as dark as the night
where one tries but is unable to make out
the difference between sea and sky

I await the moment
of the appearance of the horizon
Come to think of it, aren’t we all?
There must be an evening moment
when the horizon disappears
only to emerge again on the morrow
I’d like to see that
with a girl I once knew and loved

The sky has turned light blue
but the horizon hasn’t appeared yet
At some point it’s going to be bright enough
to see the line separating Poseidon and Zeus

I start to see a line
but am unsure if it’s the horizon
or my desire to see it
A part of the view I’d earlier dismissed
as reflection on the glass of my window
has turned out to be an urbanized hill estate

I can see the soft waves of dawn now
but as they go distant they grow softer
until they smoothly mingle into the sky
Still, I see no horizon

I realize till the horizon doesn’t appear
my world is open to possibilities
the sea could be a giant lake
or I could be living amidst the clouds

A bevy of doves chases a crow
The thief, scurrying away with a prized fish in its beak
A dove or two teach up and peck, hurting the dark winged one
But the crow flies faster and higher, out of reach

The horizon hasn’t appeared yet
or perhaps my eyes deceive me still
perhaps the faint line has arrives
but I do not wish to see it

As I wait longer, the horizon becomes clearer
still without distinction between heaven and earth
“That comes later,” I hear a voice within me
“Distinctions only become clear when souls break apart”

Vishal Gupta
22 Jan 2018