28 January, 2019

Bag of Memoirs

I have a bag of memoirs
It contains stories from the past
Marksheets of a time when I was lost
and drawings of friends I used to collect

Shirts that had grown dear to me
and testimonials of family
The first tool I ever built
and the last book I had written

Lately, the bag has grown heavy
and I don’t look at it too often
My stories travel with me every day
But the bag stays at its place

So I surround myself with antiques from the past
hoping to live in the glory of days gone by
Some day, I’ll leave these possessions behind
and move on with my stories, and my bag slightly empty

I’ll carry the gifts I received
lest someone someday need reminding
But I shall not burden my shoulders with memories
My soul shall stay full with them

And if a day should come
when my memories leave me by way of a tear
Then I’ll be all the more lighter
I do not mind

I’ll walk along looking for newer pastures
For that is all there is to life
to love a lot, to live gently
and to gracefully let go of things
not meant to be forever

Vishal Gupta
26th July 2018