24 February, 2024

Vedika, Vinita, what the f...! - Chapter 4/8

Link to Chapter 3/8


Chapter 4 - Special Theory of Relativity

 

What is the best way to get to know if a person is right for you?

 

This is one of the big pertinent questions in life, isn’t it? It’s right up there with “what is the purpose of life?”, “does free will exist?”, and “what’s for dinner?

 

Indian moms have answers to all their children’s questions. So when I asked her, she told me,

 

‘What’s for dinner?’

Whatever you want. But I have made aloo-gobhi.’

‘Does free will exist?’

Of course. As long as you do as I tell you to.’

‘What is the purpose of life?’

To get married and have children.’

‘What is the best way to get to know a prospective life partner?’

Whoever I tell you to.

 

My Dad is a simpler man. He had one solution to all of life’s problems.

You’ll figure it out yourself if you start waking up at 5 am.’

 

So I posed the question to the master of all useless knowledge – Podrik.

There are many ways to get to know a girl,’ he said. ‘The best way is to of course be in a live-in relationship with her for at least four years before figuring things out. Apart from that you could try talking to her. Take her out for dinner and a nice romantic movie. Maybe add a chariot ride. Watch the stars together. Take her on a cruise. Go on a backpacking trip together. Feel her up. Bang her. Bang her friends. Bang her neighbors...’

 

I interrupted his nonsensical train of thought, ‘how does banging her friends and neighbors help in getting to know her?’

 

Podrik looked at me like a man bewildered. ‘Getting to know her? What was your question again?

 

I didn’t really find an answer. But I got some ideas. Under the Indian arranged marriage system, you get to meet a girl a limited number of times before deciding on whether you want to spend the rest of your lives together. I think Yudhishtir had better odds at happiness after he wagered his (and his brothers’) wife in a game of ancient ludo. So that’s the question I took with me when I met Anjuli.

 

I had some reservations while considering Anjuli.

 

1.      First thing, her name “Anjuli” sounded a lot like the name of my recent ex-girlfriend and I was afraid that someday I might blurt out the wrong name. As it so happens in these things, I might blurt out the wrong name at the most inappropriate time. I might end up doing it in full view of the public like Ross Geller did, which would be bad. Or I might do it in a much intimate setting, which would be considerably worse.




2.      Secondly, on the hot-crazy scale, Anjuli didn’t really have the scope to go crazy. At all. I stayed idealistic and thought that it wouldn’t matter in the long run. I was an idiot back then.

 

3.      Thirdly, Anjuli had just graduated from law school and didn’t exactly know where her job would take her. I thought that we should initiate matrimonial discussions only after she had settled into her job and knew where her career would be going. But as modern Indian families go, we had ignored Anjuli’s career considerations entirely.

 

4.      Lastly, Anjuli had just graduated from law school. And like any sane person, I hoped I’d get to stay away from lawyers for most of my life. Childhood experiences with two sisters and one mother had trained me for illogical arguments with angry uncanny women. Suddenly facing a woman, a wife no less, who is capable of arguing based on logic! I could not imagine such a thing even existing. I clearly wasn’t ready for such a challenge.

 

And so after carefully listening to and ignoring all my arguments, my mom gave me Anjuli’s number. Which I ignored. And this went on for three weeks. Meanwhile, I got calls from my mom, my sister, and jiju to talk to Anjuli. As it turned out, Anjuli’s (A0V7) sister’s (A1V6) husband’s (A2V5) father’s (A3V4) sister’s (A4V3) son’s (A5V2) wife’s (A6V1) brother shared the same name, height, weight, personality, and consciousness as me (A7V0). And so this entire chain of well-meaning off-putting relatives thought it well-within their rights to convince everyone in this chain that I should get married to Anjuli so that they could all meet up for one night to share a plate of malai kofta together.

 

Meanwhile, I knew that Anjuli might be going through similar experiences from her side of the clan. And so I knew this other person existing in the world, going through a shared experience like me, unsure of her personal or professional future like any mid-20 year old, without ever hearing my voice or talking to me in particular. I felt a kind of a gravitational pull that’s only been shared between the Earth and a very famous ancient asteroid. I thought to myself, ‘here's an intelligent young woman, recently graduated, exploring the world, facing family pressures, and not even particularly good-looking. Who would marry her if not for someone benevolent like me?’ I felt bad for her. And so I dialed the number.

 

We spoke for four hours that night. It was a good conversation. We spoke about what it’s like living away from family which entails a mix of freedom and responsibility. We spoke of what we seek in life partners. We spoke of our exes and why we broke up. We understood that we came from very different worlds. I was an engineer working in finance in Mumbai. She was a new lawyer raring to take on the world. But we connected on books we loved and movies we had seen. By the end of the call, it felt like one of those moments when you don't want to hang up. And we had a smile as we slept that night.

 

Or so I thought.

 

The next morning, as I walked from the train station to my office, mom called, scolding me about something I had said to offend Anjuli. I couldn't remember saying anything offensive, but something had clearly gone wrong. Apparently, I had said something to Anjuli which had offended someone and now my jiju (A5V2) was angry at my sister (A6V1) for having me as her brother. I should mention: my sister didn't have much say in being my sister, and I had even less say in being her younger brother. Yet, here we were. To make matters worse, an angry jija and an angry mom is a bad combination. You should never have two women angry together in the family.

 

Upon further investigation, I discovered that during our conversation about getting to know a person, I had suggested that one way to do so was by taking a trip together. Now taking a trip with another human being is a normal leisure activity normal people do. However, Indian families have a very different concept of what “normal” and “trip” means. In the Indian arranged marriage context, suggesting taking a trip with an unmarried girl was the greatest sin I could commit. I could have told her that she will have to leave her job, career, family, sanity, and country if she wanted to marry me and I would have been perfectly justified in asking for that. But to suggest that two people take a trip together… holy cow! But that’s just how things work here. The patriarchy is mightier than the brain.

 

That Tuesday on reaching office the first thing I did was dial Anjuli’s number. Of course my boss was very pleased. It turned out that Anjuli was talking to her sister (A1V6) at night about the conversation she had with me, which her jiju (A2V5) overheard (eavesdropped). That seemed to be a normal thing for him to do. And as Anjuli told her sister that I was a perfectly normal person to talk to, her jiju found me to be an absolute monster and started making preparations to lynch my effigy me for telephonic molestation and virtual sexual harassment. A2V5 complained to his father (A3V4), who complained to my jiju’s mother (A4V3), who complained to my jiju (A5V2), who complained to my mom (UNCREDITED). And that was the world saying “good morning” to me on a Tuesday.

 

So I did what I did every morning at the office - started adding people on a conference call. Going up the chain as far as I was authorized to, and clarifying that I was not a monster.





By evening, the news had traveled across the chain and my jiju (A5V2) called me saying that his mother’s brother’s son (A2V5) had called him apologizing for the debacle. And now I could continue with my conversations with Anjuli. But advised me to record everything so that no such confusions arise in the future.

 

‘Of course. Would you like a video montage of the honeymoon as well?’ I asked.

 

It has been years since that incident. Facebook tells me that Anjuli is happily married now. At least I assume it is a happy marriage. Meanwhile, I just cleared second year of law college.