23 April, 2009

Home

‘Neath this never ending sky
is the splendor place I call home.
It brings back memories
of a childhood long gone by
but still remains in my heart
as those were the days, which made
miracles on the soul of a child
and integrated a character so the future
would accept him, as a man.

The cloud I see reminds me
of the toy I used to love so much
Wonder when I lost it
Perhaps it was the time
when infant hands grow stronger
to lift the burdens of the modern world
and the eyes, as sharp as the eagle’s
fail to notice the prized possession
being crushed under the weight the arms lifted
but now the cloud doesn’t look like the toy at all
it looks like the lil’ puppy I used to own
who would jump on its master when it wanted to play
whom a young heart cherished and loved
and revealed all magical youthful secrets
But the days are gone
and memories are all that remain

Sometimes the color of the dawning sky
reminds me of the walls of my home
under whose strong protection
my crawl turned into a walk
and finally a run,
to race against the world
to race against time
to achieve goals to master work
to tire out, and finally fall asleep.
Those walls were the constant companions
in all gloom and joy
Then there was a special wall
which periodically marked my height
till it said I was ready
to leave it all behind.

But it was not the walls
not the rooms not the color nor the halls
not the floor nor the ceiling
not the air conditioner not the heating
of which the sky reminded me the most.
It was the people I was with there
who turned the house into a home
I miss them the most, when I think of home
I miss them all, whenever I feel alone
and then get back up and pursue my goals
as I know that I work for us
not me not them but us
so we could again be together
and live the life I dreamed of
and that shall be the day
when we shall stand again as one
Together, in all weather, we shall run
That day, will be the start
of the complete life at heart
of happiness of joy
of togetherness of ecstasy
of life and life only.

- Vishal Gupta
29th July 2008