28 April, 2009

The end of the road

My last moments in kota

The end of the road

As I hear the clock tick by
and count the number of days to go
I’m mesmerized by the fact
that I’ve finally reached, the end of the road.

It seems like a miracle,
that this mystical fable has reached a halt
for it seemed to flow since eternity
and destined to go till infinity, and beyond.

Still I knew, that it would end
‘cause that was the purpose of the beginning
but neither start nor end can match the glories
of the path, I walked in.

I didn’t have the vaguest idea
what future had in store for me
and am now astonished by the past
which I can behind me see.

It wasn’t an easy road, it wasn’t meant to be
for it stored the largest boulders, one may ever see
It was covered by the darkest clouds, there ever have been
and housed the meanest animals, I’d ever seen.

But it also held the powers to overcome the odds
and the powers were for us to take
Slowly and steadily the path worked
to something evolved out of us make.

It tested me both head and heart
and rewarded me when I won
For failure, it punished ruthlessly
and now says bye when all’s done.

But as I look back, to the days gone by
I feel the change, in me and my world
I see I grew, walking the path
I notice the change in my vision and thought.

But now, as the final test closes in
I suddenly feel shallow
as if vacuum has seized me from within
and is ready now to swallow.

It is an unexperienced phase
something which the path, forgot to warn me against
it is the final struggle
beyond which lies, a new world.

But for that I must fight the last battle
and win that to win the war
The reward this time, is the biggest yet
and the price of failure, is loss.

Not loss of strength not loss of spirit
But loss in the purest sense
This loss means no eternal loss
Its just unquestionable, unspeakable, unthinkable loss.

But the fear of loss, terrorizes no brave of this path
and we, shall go on to fight
a fight to win a fight to achieve
a fight for the respect of this path.

The final test, shall not bring m down
and I shall emerge victorious I know
but for that I need to be brave
and overcome the final odds I face.

So I must take thy leave now
and resume in my struggle
for I’m responsible to keep the road alive
for successors of mine who shall come
and reap destinies from this soil
the time has come, the final time
when the clock ticks by
and I count the number of days to go
and am mesmerized by the fact
that I’ve finally reached,
the end of the road.

-Vishal Gupta