23 April, 2009

Friend

Here's one to some special people

Friend

Let me not today, steal away thy heart
‘cause I come not today to make my mark
I say not a lover’s ballad nor enlighten thee with a monarch’s tale
I just say a few words, ‘bout god’s grace called ‘friend’

A friend I had once back in time
whose memories with me words cannot justify
Still I try, ‘cause that’s all I can do
to respect, to cherish, to love the one I knew.

I found him when enchantments of life began to unfold
and he willed to accompany me in my search of gold
he protected my words like treasure itself
when I was down, he used to help
he forgave me easily, on all my sins
and believed me blindly, trust never dim
He guided me in every way he knew right
and protected me from evils with all his might
He scolded and punished me to make me grow
when I faced fireballs, he came like snow
When I fought the world, he stood by my side
He never let me knew, the reason for which he cried
He was an ideal human, no evil deeds to his name
He lived for others, but asked for himself, he never power or fame

Then one day, when we had to continue without the other
He told me, I helped him more
I still fail to find words
for the pain the last moment bore.
For it is beyond my vision
how I may have helped him more
yes, we grew up together
but I know of the sacrifices he bore
Not just for me, but he was ready to give up his life
For all loved ones, parents, peers and more
And went on living with this purpose
And swam across the shore

He did not approve of everything I did
and condemned me when I went against his ideas
but loved me still and dearly too
even after knowing me as I was.
And it takes courage to love someone you know well
‘cause you are aware of their inner devil
still his love for his friend was deep
and cherished memories of him today I reap.

Today we are far and talk less
but I know he thinks of me still
life put many pitfalls between us
but perhaps this is god’s will
We know we will reunite, and the friendship shall reincarnate
We just watch for the right time
and meanwhile, we wait.

As old friends go, new ones must take their place
and here I thank for god’s grace.
As I wait for my old friend to return
God blessed me with a new relationship to yearn

We were once strangers to each other
but as time passed on, the bond fostered
He is a man who lives his life
he evolved with me again for strife.
Like me he is, in a new land amongst unknowns
like me he has a past, to which he drones
like me he struggles, to achieve a dream he has seen
and in the path we unwind, magical mysteries.
He taught me faith and belief and hope
and counted the blessings I had ignored
he evolved himself, and took me along the path
and saved me from being lonely, my poor heart
He has his positives and negatives I see
but still with him, I feel of the two of us as ‘we.’
He is open to new thoughts and beliefs
and wills to say what he feels
He knows he evolved since he dared to walk the path we chose
and still walk, everyday getting close
We do have difficulties, but they dont matter
cause foundations of respect do not shatter.

We know we too, will one day have to say goodbye
but the feelings created would never die
We are friends forever, in dark and light
and shall pray to meet again with all our might.

Oh! wait dear friends, the story doesnt end here
cause there is another friend, whose tale thee have to bear
and odd indeed cause her I have not seen
still she is so dear a friend as any yet have been.

The very first time I came to know of her
was as a ‘somebody’ in herds
I thought of talking to her
and sent her my first words.

As time moved on, the talks between us grew
The means of contact we used were also new
Never did we ever, see each other’s face
even when there have been, four years of passing days
We just stand on trust, and nothing less of it
our belief in one another, is all that we need.

And there have been more, unnamed friends
whom I still say, are gifts which the heavens sent
To laugh to share to live more than life
To whom I shall remain, indebted all the time

There was a friend, who showed me the ‘real world’
and one, with whom sorrows nulled
There was a friend, with whom walking I remember
and a one, who still sends cards each december
I miss a friend, whom I used to tease a lot
and a one, for whom I always fought.
I remember a friend, with whom I used to work
and a one, with whom relations were berserk
I miss a friend, with whom I used to play
I miss all, all my friends each passing day.

God graces thee, with many gifts today
cherish them now, as they may not stay.
A friend in need is still a friend indeed
but more than that, it is god’s greatest deed.
But more than that, it is god’s greatest deed.

-Vishal Gupta