22 February, 2012

3rd Fingers - Chapter 5/8


Disclaimer: 3rd Fingers do not take a liberal or conservative, right or left or right-center or left-center or center-center, pro-abortion or anti-abortion, pro-Illu or anti-Illu stand on any issue. It may be debated if 3rd Fingers even take a stand at all. Perhaps, Sometimes… 3rd Fingers takes a stand-up and it’s a tragi-comic kind of stand. Comic for you and tragic for the characters.

In some parts of the world, facebook.com is the hottest website people know. For me, it is the Training and Placement notice board. Being a state-of-the-art modern engineering institution, we did not really have a notice board. We had a website and like other things in this college, the website was also green. It was nothing but a green background with white notice heading constantly updated on it. Nonetheless, this featureless and photoless webpage was important enough to make our in-campus geeks write innumerable codes and programs about it to make it easier to access for the less adroit people like me who found it hard to click on the name of a website on the nation’s fastest internet connection. As per routine, I was scrolling through the tons (read tens) of notices put up on it in the last 12 hours. Usually the website was very depressing. While numerous companies did come to our campus to select interns, most of them came looking for proficient  coders who could shit algorithms and could write 18 different languages like Java, Python, PHP, C, C++, C#, Objective C and sometimes even the more annoying “D”. For me, I’d learnt the alphabet only in kindergarten and had made the mistake of trying to survive the world just on that. I did know a bit of C but I only knew the abuses of the language. Not the literature. That wasn’t good enough for the companies. They took the Shakespeares of computer programming with them and promised them to pay in silicon. I waited for someone to come who considered English as a language and would be happy to take me. Today was one such chance. Now I am a student of the aeronautical department but in a country where the airplane industry is as canned as its owners, I did not see much hope. So all such ambitions fell upon the broad and suited shoulders of the latest attraction in engineering colleges – Banks! There were many multinational banks that were banking upon the idea of taking in engineering students in their army of overpaid clerks. They said that engineering colleges provide the best brains which can be easily trained to manage financial assets. After all, these are the same students who scored excellent marks in their schools 6 years ago. So what if they have gone through a period of thrashing, getting stoned, electrified, and in some cases even devoid of their dignity and virginity during their initial orientation days in college. They could still create magic in passbooks and could be the CEOs of multinationals tomorrow. I agreed. You always agree with the person who is willing to pay double your worth. After all, Banks, literally mean money don’t they? Now what could be more welcoming than banks? Oil. At my campus, black money (I mean oil companies and nothing else) literally poured in to the campus hunting for people who could abandon home and work tirelessly inspired by the prospect of screwing up the planet (quite literally) and making a lot of money. Why were they paying so much money? 3 reasons:
  1. As Al Gore has spent his entire youth explaining to us, the oil reserves are depleting and the planet is going to die. You need a strong motivation to kill your own planet. And what better motivation is there to kill a green planet than green paper?
  2. The work which seemed as simple as putting a spoon into the heart of the planet and skimming the lubricant out actually required you to stay away from home for 4 months and work 24*7 (and I mean 24*7). Then you’d get a break of 4 months and whatever would be left of you would be paid for lying at home or in the hospital bed.
  3. Oil in our world is found on some of the most revolting places which America likes to bomb often. These are not the places Indian mothers prefer their children to go.

People generally lasted in such jobs for 2 years. After that they usually left with a bag of gold, no hair and nicotine addiction. Oil companies usually preferred hard workers with low grades, such as college sportsmen, athletes and even junior secretaries because God knows they do a lot of running around. Sadly, I qualified in none of these categories. I wondered if any company would take me at all or would I be sent to the silicon valley of India again in some obscure Aeronautical laboratory which would at first involve a long bureaucratic procedure just to prove my existence as a responsible citizen of the nation; and if I survived that then I’d be asked to make excel sheets on the data their engineers had ridiculously collected and not categorized over the years. I had already spent one summer wasting my time on such a project. I did not want to do this again. Last summer I had learnt what I did not want to be in life. That is a big achievement for a 20 year old in an engineering college. But here I was face-to-face with Mr. Reality again and I still did not know what I really wanted to do with my life. I’d thought cracking the most difficult exam in the nation would’ve been good enough to secure a good life for the future. Somehow, there was more to my life than one eight-hour long exam.