03 February, 2012

3rd Fingers - Chapter 2/8


Disclaimer: It is strongly advised that sane people should not read this blog. Vishal Gupta does not agree with any of the views or opinions expressed on 3rd Fingers. The only reason Vishal Gupta is posting this series is because his cow has been abducted by us.

I stopped by the bathroom mirror to see how I looked. After all, there were pretty female juniors in my society. Like every engineering college, my junior batch had the most gorgeous (and approachable) girls. Somehow only my batch had missed out of the pretty ones. Anyways while I was doing my hair, I saw Joose rush into the bathroom to find a cubicle to puke. This wasn’t a surprise, considering the fact that his everyday dinner consisted of 3 pegs of vodka in the main course and a shot of tequila in the dessert. But it wasn’t his fault. The entire load of Illumination had fallen upon his small head and he hadn’t been sleeping… at all. I wondered about his sleeping timings. He couldn’t sleep in the classes because he didn’t go to any. He didn’t sleep at night because that was the time when he taught the new generation of engineers how to tie thick steel wires to bamboo sticks. And he couldn’t sleep during the day because at that time he was in the market to bring steel wires (and at times even bamboo sticks). He came out of the cubicle and looked at me with eyes which could be mistaken for coal. Burnt coal. He looked thinner than usual and if he didn’t shave soon I would plant a sunflower in the bushes he carried on his face. His half-dead face looked at me. I thought this wasn’t the best time to talk to him about my room’s broken window. I rather put my broken comb in my pocket and rushed out of my Hall.

My college was going haywire with constructions. Supposedly there was some big VIP coming for the annual function and it sent the management into frenzy. For the first time footpaths were being constructed. I had gotten used to the old street where a speeding cycle could go by hitting you and not stop to regret. The footpaths would change that. Rumors were that a helipad was being built and tried for that VIP’s entrance. Somehow, the roads looked cleaner than usual and all the main societies of my college were asked to prepare performances for his entertainment. Of course my society was not worthy enough of being asked for a performance. For one thing, no one expected us to do real work. For another, what would a bunch of book-freaks really do? Go on the stage and recite a poem? Somehow, the administration preferred Salman Khan’s Dhinka Chika to Harivansh Rai Bacchan’s Madhushala. And I can’t say that I did not understand their logic. Also, all the in-campus eateries were to remain closed on the day the VIP was about to come. This meant that either we’d have to eat the horrible food in the mess or we’d have to stay hungry for the day. We only later found out that the VIP came to the function for only an hour. He said his schedule didn’t permit him to stay longer. I think he was just scared from the protests against him in the campus. Most students believed that he should resign from the chair. These were the students who love to make people resign. But not all my college mates are such shallow beings. Most people didn’t give a crap about whether he resigned, or stayed, or became an astronaut. They were just pissed off because the eateries were closed. Where else do you go on a Sunday when even the brains of mess-workers are on leave and they dump the weeks’ worth of leftover stuff in our plates. To add to that, our mess system had become more bureaucratic. But more on that later.

Finally, I got to the meeting and found my team patiently waiting for me. As usual, half the crowd had not appeared. There were the people who always came and did no work. There were the people who hardly came and hardly did any work. And there were people who looked like they could work, but alas, there was no work for them to do. This was going to change. I and Ishenam had plans for this year. We had already conducted a whirlwind of selections and despite my involvement, we’d chosen up a fairly good team of idle to-be-engineers. It was good in a way. Bill Gates says that lazy people always find out the best way to do things. However, that rule did not apply to my team. Here, the lazy people never did any work. They didn’t even show up for the treats! That’s lazy I tell you. After having control of the team I had discovered that unlike other more “dramatic” teams, mine did not have a chance for face-to-face interaction. I preferred a 24 hour video chat involving everyone but Ishenam suggested a round table conference. I agreed. It did sound more feasible. Problem was that though all of us did have computers, we did not have such a big table. We settled for sitting on the ground in a circle. Close enough! After we wasted 15 minutes in settling people down, we began the meeting.