07 December, 2013

Angel

This is a poem, spanning over 5 years and 2 countries. A tribute, to an angel.

Angel

I know not, who are you
I just know, that you are true
Know, that you are there
know, that you always care
I can’t say, I know not who you are
but I want to ask, when did we come so far?

You befriended me, when I was alone
and heard me out, when I wasn’t even known
I don’t know why, but I could trust you
though trust is a treasure, I share with few
There was something, which connected you and me
Perhaps the future of a relation which was to be

What followed was six months of utter silence
But you in my thoughts I could sense
The next time we talked, we exchanged numbers
I fearfully sent you a text, you replied to my wonder
What started as one innocent message, became nights of endless talks
I didn’t even know when, you became those short stops in my walks

Determined to know more about you, I logged on one day
Somehow, I ended up telling you more about myself to my dismay
Yet I was reassured that you knew me well
I never knew, when for you I opened my shell
When my dark times came, your written words were shoulders I cried upon
suddenly, I discovered newfound love for the screen of my phone

When you faced your crisis in life, somehow you remembered me
your trust in me, made me both nervous and ecstatic
That was the first time I heard your voice
that was the night I learnt how to break ice
That was the night you took a decision, which you follow to this day
that night I knew, my life had found its way

Time moved on, and screens grew larger
and words became more frequent and complete
And chats became group chats, as mutual friends grew
and I know they knew, they all knew
And one day, the inevitable happened
That too infront of a friend of yours
Till then, I knew not what you looked like
till then, I hadn’t need to care

I soon discovered, and you were beautiful
I saw a spark in your eyes, and I knew the reason was me
Falling leaves in autumn had started to make sense for the first time
And I wasn’t afraid anymore, I knew I’d found what I was looking for
What followed, was a re-discovery of you and I
what followed, was me caving out one night

Countless missed calls, pings and mails
tears over the phone, curses from common friends
Guilt, which continued to eat me alive
words, which still said you put trust by my side

I tried to make you hate me, failing miserably so
making you worse, I accept my fault
To this day, I blame myself for my loneliness
for I made an angel cry
To this day, I ask God for forgiveness
but I know it I might not find

The years went by, we came back in contact
The string was reattached, but the patch was seen
We went on again and off again
never settling, never still
I know I’d destroyed something beautiful
And we both would pay for my sin

Yet I knew, you moved on and lived your life
and you knew, I moved on and lived mine
and the years continued to go by, while our lives changed
While we found love again and lost again
while we lost loved ones to never regain
While we discovered what it’s like to lose one’s sense
while we knew, the only one who’d understand is you

You said it when you lost someone you love
I said it when someone I loved left me
you said it after every one of my yearly letters, which I still send
I said it in every one of them
Like two tracks, moving ahead together, in their own lives
Never to meet, but always know where the other is going
Not knowing, what the future might bring
But having a small assurance, that it would have you to fall upon

Seldom in life, you find someone with whom you may not talk for an eon
then suddenly come back as if it was yesterday
Seldom, you know someone will go beyond your words to understand your heart
seldom, you’ll have the opportunity to screw it like I did

I know not what the future has in store
I know, I cannot die without seeing you without a screen
I know, I shall hug you the first time I see you
I do not know, if you think this too
Something within me says you do
it also says I closed every door myself and I closed them well

I wonder, what would have happened had I been brave
would we still have been enjoying each other’s words
would we have met
would we have broken up over something else
would we have come to understand these sides of each other we do
would we be, the people we have come to become

But wonders don’t construct life, “would have’s” do not have meaning
Life, in a desert where some tracks are lost
others, become dunes
Ahead, is the night, which is dark
Something exists in it, but I know not what
perhaps it is you, I can’t help but wonder
perhaps not, I try not to let my thoughts wild wings
The sky looks dark, the stars are lost

yet, when I look up in the silence I can’t help but smile
because even in though we share the silence of the night
but the moon is still there

Vishal Gupta
 Written during 2008-13