01 April, 2013

Let Men Die

When I die, let there be no mourners
let there be no people to shed tears
Let a celebration ensue, to cherish the life I led
A tribute to the years, I contently spent

Let each one, remember me by the songs I sang
or evoke the words I wrote for him
Let each one, smile like they did
when the reason for that smile I had become

Let my words from the grave let the ones I loved know
that I loved them in life, and from beyond
Let there be no lad or maiden whom
I have left with unspoken words in my heart

I wish not to die, without telling someone I loved them
I wish not to die, without spending my last day being a smile
My only fear, which keeps me alive
is to die, and not leave a legacy behind

Let me have the strength, to start each year anew
let me be brave, to let go the grey and embrace the blue
Let my words, live beyond me in hearts and books
making me immortal, so I be above the grief of my death

Let me die content, with all I had
for I know there’s not much to be desired
So when I enter the heart, of those who cry
to ask them what mistake I made to die

Let my mourners, wear a smiles on lips and hearts on sleeves
for there would be no greater homage, no tribute better for me
Let those who cry, be seated at the back
who enter late and leave early, and did not wish to be attached

Alas! I do not want such men to tread my memorial day
in life I could not do away with them, I wish to be rid in death
Let no man whose only wish is to mark an attendance see my pyre
let none see me rise, my fall was whose desire

And let all be intoxicated, not with malt but with life
to revel with my kind of being high
For I had neither sorrow nor diffidence to veil behind liquor
Nor I thought it just, to be merry only with a hangover

Let them dance to the tunes of life
and not on music created by the world otherwise
Let men learn, to work harder and dance slower
let men learn to hear the music, before the song is over

Let men move forward, without the fear of success
for defeat never wrought panic, anxiety or distress
Let men strive each time, as it was their first
let uncertainty of result be the guide, of risks and action

And let men know, what virtue lies in the art of waiting
for it is not patience to wait, but it lies in the skill of the offing
Patience is what men do, when they choose to wait
do they wait for the goal to come, or they push it further away

Let men die, knowing what I learnt in life
let men die, as content and gay as I
Let a celebration ensue, to cherish the life they led
A tribute to the years, they contently spent

- Vishal Gupta
November 1st, 2012