31 March, 2024

Vedika, Vinita, what the f...! - Chapter 8/8

Link to Chapter 7/8


Queen’s Cross

 

We were at a café having casual conversation over coffee and cake when it suddenly hit me!

 

‘We are in a café having casual conversation over coffee and cake!’ I shrieked!

 

So?’ she enquired, cool as a body in a morgue. ‘That’s a perfectly normal thing to do when you’re out with your girlfriend, right?

 

‘Let me break it down for you,’ I replied, ticking points off my fingers. ‘(a) we broke up 12 years ago, (b) you got married, (c) and moved to another continent, and (d) as per our last conversation about a decade ago, you don’t remember that I ever happened in your life.’

 

Interesting…’ she replied, totally unfazed by my response. ‘You still haven’t learnt anything better to do with those fingers.

 

We considered each other for a minute. Now that I thought about it, Anjali looked very familiar to her 20-year old self. Just as cute. As puffy. On the other hand, I had streaks of whitening hair, darker dark circles, and an older beard. But why was I seeing my own dark circles?

 

So what you’re saying is - (a) that I’m not actually here, (b) you’re either hallucinating or dreaming, (c) your sub-conscious is so self-aware that you actually know that you’re talking to your sub-conscious, and (d) after all this time, your mind still thinks of me when you need to have an actual conversation. Either you’re seriously screwed up in the head or you need to tell me what you’ve been smoking.

 

My eyes opened as soon as she said this. I woke up in my bed and there she was, sitting on my study table; as real as the Sun shining through my roof.

 

So we’re obviously having an inception sort-of moment here. Nice. I’ve never been in someone else’s sub-conscious before,’ she opened. ‘And for the record, I moved to another continent and then got married. Big difference.

 

‘Thanks for setting the record straight. My readers would’ve really cared! But more importantly, WHAT THE FUCK ARE YOU DOING HERE?’ I countered.

 

You tell me. I’m simply a figment of your imagination. What are you trying to work through?

 

‘So I’m just imagining this? If this is all in my imagination, then why are you dressed so plainly. We could be having the same conversation with you in something more… objectionable. And why are we in my room?’

 

So that you’re not distracted,’ she said. But even as she said the words, her kurti-jeans attire turned to a dress short enough to keep my attention but long enough to not bother my chauvinism. She looked at herself and chuckled, ‘good work. But let’s not get carried away from the issue at hand. What’s up with you?

 

I looked at her for a moment. Nothing that I hadn’t seen before. But perhaps it was best to get to the point. After all, if she was just my imagination, this was nothing more than some mental foreplay. I could do better with my sub-conscious.

 

‘I can’t find the last chapter to this series I’ve been writing,’ I said.

 

You’re writing again? Nice. What is it about?’ she asked.

 

‘It’s about my disastrous dating escapades. I’ve even come up with a clever title. It’s called “Vedika, Vinita, What the f…!” Like the Latin phrase Ve…’

 

Is this like the post you wrote about me back in the day?’ she interjected twinkling with mischief. She usually didn’t do that.

 

‘Um yeah, about that…’

 

And that’s why you’ve skirted through the series without mentioning any real long-term relationships and just random chicks you met on one or two dates.

 

‘Yeah but…’

 

And that’s why you’ve refrained from really offending anyone, just in case anyone feels as bad as I did.

 

‘You’re not supposed to remember this, remember?’

 

Dumb question. One, how would I remember that I’m not supposed to remember. And two, I’m not really here you idiot. This is you talking to you.

 

We sat in silence for what seemed like a long time, while the Sun continued to shine through my roof with a light breeze making its way through the closed windows. She really did have a point. 12 years ago, I had written a similar series on my college days which had a whole chapter of me making fun of her. Our relationship wasn’t doing too well anyway. And with that one post on my blog I might have put the final nail in the coffin. In my stubbornness I did not take the chapter down till years later, when it was already too late.

 

What are you thinking about,’ she interrupted my chain of thought.

 

‘Aren’t you already supposed to know that? You are in my head after all.’

 

Good point! You’re finally getting the hang of it. So you’re thinking why didn’t you mention any of the more serious relationships in your series. On the off chance that you’d end up offending them, you didn’t take the chance at all. Instead you went with the easy targets. The ones who would weigh light on your conscience. But guess what, if you choose to write about dating misadventures, you’re going to offend people. You wouldn’t be much of a writer if you didn’t offend anyone.

 

‘And the ones who get offended would leave me…’

 

Like I did.

 

‘I crossed a line.’

 

We were done long before that ever happened.

 

So what is this, I thought to myself. Some self-induced therapy session? Or was my brain finally melting up. And as clear as crystal as meth, I could hear her voice, without her moving her lips at all, ‘so how have you been all this while?

 

I told her about the many many (many) dating disappointments. How I discovered girls use guys for emotional (ab)use as much as guys use girls for physical (ab)use. I discovered how even I was capable of ghosting someone. I told her about the girl from MBA with whom I was on-and-off for 6 years and how each time felt like the definite last time and how this was definitely the lastest last time. I told her about the one that got away, the one which ended in divorce, and the ones who didn’t make it past the first or second dates. I told her how I was wronged by the universe, and I was unwilling to play by its rules again. I told her how I feared trusting anyone again, because I didn’t have it in me to fail one more time. I told her how I decided that if I could just manage to stay fit and rich, the women will keep coming. And if not anything else, there’s always Kasol.

 

So what you’re telling me is… you’re done.

 

‘Definitely not. Else you wouldn’t be here.’

 

So what do you want?

 

I considered this for a moment, grappling with the weight of her question. What the fuck did I want. Love? Redemption? Apology? A lifetime supply of pizza?

 

‘I just want my last chapter.’

 

I mean in life. What the fuck do you want in life?

 

‘I want to go back 12 years or 8 years or 4 years or however long it takes to fix one of my mistakes.’

 

I can’t turn back time for you. But think about this - if you have made mistakes with me, and after me, and after that, and after that… aren’t you due for your next mistake soon? Maybe try not to screw that up?

 

‘And what if I’m too afraid to commit to a mistake again.’

 

As someone very close to both of us once said, “It is impossible to live without failing at something, unless you live so cautiously that you might as well not have lived at all—in which case, you fail by default.”

 

We sat without talking for a long time. The realization of what would happen next settled gradually over me in the long minutes, life softly falling snow.

 

‘I’ve got to wake up, haven’t I?’

 

That’s up to you.

 

‘I’ve got a choice?’

 

Oh yes,’ she smiled at me. ‘We’re in your room right? I think you can decide to stay here, create more fiction, stay on your computer, and do the things you’ve been doing.

 

Silence again.

 

‘But you want me to go back.’

 

‘I think,’ she said, ‘that you want to return. That you want to find someone. I cannot promise that you will find her. But I know this, that you have more to offer than you think you do.

 

I nodded and sighed. Waking up would not be nearly as hard as committing to someone had been, but it was sunny and windy in here, and waking up would be heading back to paid and the fear of more loss. I stood up, and she did the same, and we looked for a long moment into each other’s faces.

 

‘Tell me one last thing,’ I said. ‘Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?’

 

She beamed at me, and her voice sounded loud and musical in my ears even though the Sun was getting dimmer, obscuring her figure.

 

Of course it is happening inside your head. But why on Earth should that mean it is not real?