18 January, 2019

15 Last Words from ASoIaF

I recently read John Green's "Looking For Alaska". And since this is not a book review I will refrain from giving any opinion about the book on this post. The idea however, comes from the protagonist, "Pudge" who reads biographies so that he can know the last words of famous figures. As he quests for the last words of his love, an idea came to me. Which is the book that I've read with a lot of last words? It would be a book with a lot of deaths. Obviously, A Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones) came to mind. And so, here we go. The 15 most memorable last words of from major death scenes through the series, in order of their death.

1. “For Robert!”  – Ser Waymar Royce
First death in the series

2. “Sister, please… Dany, tell them… make them… sweet sister…” – Viserys Targaryen

3. “I will give Lyanna your love, Ned. Take care of my children for me.” – King Robert Baratheon
Because every person must entrust Ned with the safety of their children

4. “I betrayed the faith of my king and the trust of my friend, Robert. I swore to defend and protect his children, yet before his blood was cold, I plotted to depose and murder his son and seize the throne for myself. Let the High Septon and Baelor the Beloved and the Seven bear witness to the truth of what I say: Joffrey Baratheon is the one true heir to the Iron Throne, and by the grace of all the gods, Lord of the Seven Kingdoms and Protector of the Realm.” – Lord Eddard Stark

5. “No. Must ride. Ride. No.” – Khal Drogo
Ironically, also his first word in the series.

6. “You will not hear me scream.” – Mirri Maz Duur
To which Dany replied, “I will.”

7. “…sharp” – Qhorin Halfhand
He had previously asked Jon if his sword was sharp enough, knowing that Jon will slay him later that day

8. “Who calls me bastard?” – Craster

9. “Tell Jorah. Forgive him. My son. Please. Go.” – Lord Commander Jeor Mormont

10. “Jeyne? Mother, Grey Wind…” – King Robb Stark

11. “No, don’t, don’t cut my hair, Ned loves my hair” – Catelyn Stark
Dying thoughts

12. “Oh. You know nothing, Jon Snow” – Ygritte

13. “It’s, kof, the pie, noth—kof, pie. I, kof, I can’t, kof kof kof kof…” – King Joffrey Baratheon

14. “I came to hear you confess. You raped her. You murdered her. You killed her children. You raped her. You murdered her. You killed her children. You raped her. You murdered her. You killed her children. You raped her. You murdered her. You killed her children. You raped her. You murdered her. You killed her children. You raped her. You murdered her. Elia. You raped her. You murdered her. You killed her children. Now say her name. I will hear you say it. She was Elia of Dorne. Elia. Say it! Elia. Of Dorne! Say it! ELIA OF DORNE! EEEEELLLLLLIIIIIAAAAA! If you die before you say her name, ser, I will hunt you through all seven hells. Say the name!” – Prince Oberyn Nymeros Martell

15. “Elia of Dorne. I killed her screaming whelp. Then I raped her. Then I smashed her fucking head in. Like this.” – Ser Gregor Clegane