25 January, 2016

The Harbor Line 3/8 - My Ex-Girlfriend

Over the course of my life, I’ve seen a lot of cities. I’ve studied in Shanghai, worked in Lucknow, partied in Delhi, cycled across the streets of Kharagpur, and even lived through Calcutta! Usually, I have loved the cities I’ve lived in, and I’m not kidding, I’ve loved them to the point of topophilia. I loved Kharagpur like a first girlfriend, often referring to the town as “she”.

But Mumbai is a different ballgame. I can’t bring myself to call this Monstrosity “she”. I do love it, but not like a girlfriend. It’s more like the love one bears for an ex-girlfriend. You can’t forget her, at times you feel that you still love her, sometimes you really miss her, and time and again she will piss you off. So I thought of the ways in which Mumbai was like my ex, and came down with a hefty list.
  1. Both have short-lived mood swings; both don’t know when to drizzle, when to rain, and when to pour

  2. They’re both mean and heartless, and try to push me around for no reason 

  3. They’re both hot as hell

  4. Both have often asked me to pay their bills

  5. They both fuck with me on a regular basis. However, in both cases there’s no sex involved

  6. A lot of times I want to run away from it (“it” refers to both of them); but I stay, not knowing why

  7. Both hardened me for times to come; giving me the lessons I needed to live a great life elsewhere

  8. Periodically, and somewhat predictably, they’ll pour down and when they do all I can do is sit back in terror, trying to pry my way through life

  9. Both have often asked me to help them out with excel modelling

  10. I do like being close to them, and when they’re away I do miss them

  11. Both are carelessly beautiful


“Aye dil hai mushkil jeena yahan
Zara hat ke zara bach ke
Ye hai Mumbai meri jaan!”


The Lonely Traveler