11 March, 2011

Second Options - Epilogue

Continued from Second Options - Part 6

            Every corner of Netaji auditorium drowned in a sea of cheer as my Hall rejoiced. As soon as the judge announced the winners, Ishenam Chamatkari jumped beside me and before I could think of what just happened, I was hugged by Juice. Everyone jumped on the stage and congratulated each other. Every person who lived under the same roof with me was overjoyed with the feeling but I felt a bit out of place at that moment. I did feel the sensation of a hard-earned victory but I could not understand what made everyone so excited about the win. Maybe being the kaata seccy, I did miss something. I saw Chamatkari again and his nose was bleeding most probably because someone had hit him while all that jumping and humping, but Chamatkari didn’t seem to care. At that time the most important thing for him was the victory he had deserved and earned. Soon I even came face to face with JJ. For the first time, he did not give me a dirty look and I went ahead and hugged him. Nitin patted me from the back and I actually lifted him up in my arms. After all, who could play a better dragqueen than her him. We all gathered up outside Netaji to fill the air of IIT Kharagpur with the name of our Hall. Then everyone marched back towards the place which had bonded us all close together.

            I didn’t go. I found a bench mid-way and stopped to think, would this have been possible had JJ not been strict with us? Perhaps he was not wrong in tormenting my life. As a G. Sec, he had the responsibility to ensure the work is done and he did his job fastidiously. Though it did create hinder my own personal works, but that didn’t mean that his job was wrong. People wouldn’t have bonded so well had they not worked in those hard days during Illu. Had Satyaraghava not brought me tonight, I wouldn’t have witnessed the grand celebration where happiness was oozing out of every square inch of our bodies. Had JJ not scared me into it, I would have stayed back in my room and missed the fundae of elocution which has been passed down by generations of IITians in my Hall and I’d have remained a reluctant speaker. The Hall wouldn’t have been united to work towards the common goal of winning the Inter-Hall General Championship which not only taught us the technical aspects of our work but also the principles of working in a team.

            I got up from the bench, and walked towards the elated family which was waiting for me in my Hall.

            With this, I end my tell of tales this year. Second Options will always remain close to my heart as the memoirs of the year when I learnt a lot in life and I’m sure that not only for me but for all my friends reading this, this series would be a special one which they shall all cherish an unforgettable year which passed through their lives. For my juniors reading this, I’ll say that no Jaishith is ever bad. He’ll just do his work and he’ll do it as finely as he can. If your work conflicts with his’, and if he does his work better than you can defend yours, you’ll have to comply with his wishes. That’s why every JJ and every Gambheer is chosen very selectively, because they have the responsibility to keep the Hall going. They are the reason that you can hold up your head high and feel proud of your Hall.

            Lastly, I’d like to thank all the patient people who went through my work, gave me feedback, complemented, and commented. Specially Gambheer, JJ, Juice, Satyaraghava, Shin Chan, Tanmoy, and you.

            Tanmay, this last article was dedicated to you. I hope you enjoyed it.

            Shin Chan, loved the daily debates with you. Always gave me food for thought. Hope we keep it up for long.

            Satyaraghava, thanks for all the great comments and support. It always helped me to keep writing against all odds.

            Juice, my friend for all seasons. Thanks for all the support you have shown. Though I wouldn’t mind if you could curb down on your menta spree a bit, but that’s now a part of who we are, isn’t it?

            JJ. Thanks for showing such a sporty spirit. I apologise for all that I wrote.Just consider it as an innocent hobby of a junior who respects you a lot. As for the tempo, keep it up. J

            Gambheer. You were the best roomie I ever had dude. I seriously miss you. No one could be a better G. Sec HR than you man! Kudos to the God of DTJJ.

            And You. For sticking by my till now.

Curtains