11 February, 2011

Second Options - Part 4

Continued from Second Options - Part 3

Disclaimer:
All characters and names mentioned in Second Options are completely fictitious and imaginary, and any resemblance to many people senior, junior, sick or just purely out of work is unintentional and deeply regretted. Any ass… assilimators of funda commenting on Second Options are simply considered as big bas... baskets of knowledge and all such discussion should be restrained to the comments section.

            By the time I reached the Hall the results were already being announced. It happened that the seniors locked themselves in the common room and counted the polls. Now I’m not saying that the election results weren’t fair but I just couldn’t overlook the fact that the polls were not counted… “transparently.” But alas, nothing in the Hall ever is (except for the empty beer bottles in the bathrooms in the morning). Just when I stepped in the result of the entertainment post was announced and the winner was Satyaraghava. I couldn’t hear him but apparently the first word which left the mouth of the newly-made Ent Seccy on hearing his triumph was a tiny little four lettered word whose deduction I leave to your intelligent guesses. I saw how people were slowly bounded to a new world of responsibilities which they would pedantically deliver no doubt. However, the milestone point in my life came when the 5 Maintenance Seccys were announced. Though I had not contested for the post, that single event in the history of this planet changed the whole shebang for me. I didn’t realize it then, but for the next few weeks the Earth below me was going to be shaken, unravelled, and after putting me six feet deep, would be filled again. The 5 Seccys were
·         Juice
·         Aanchal Bal (it’s a boy)
·         Praveen
·         Manav Mohi
and last but definitely not the least (you’ll see why)
·         Gambheer
            God knows what the seniors saw in this guy, but he was made the fifth and final Seccy (Sorry! The seniors didn’t “choose” him. He was elected not prelected). But I realized what the implications were when the inter-Hall events began to start. Now IIT Kgp has been gifted with a plethora of events ranging from tying diyas to bamboo sticks to making a commercially sustainable product for a market of differently abled population. It was Gambheer’s duty to bring human resource to the event, whether to participate or to see didn’t matter to him. He just focussed on his job, i.e. DTJJ (Darwaza Tod Junta Jugad). As they say, charity begins at home; he began by throwing me out of the room. So I’d have to go to every event whether it be seeing an elocution in a language I’m challenged with or be it tying steel wires around dildos. I had to be there. And if I was seen sneaking out of the Hall when such a mellifluous event was taking place, he’d make sure that I had the G. Sec waiting whenever I came back. Now even the prospect of living outside the Hall was not an option as I did my planning in my room, he’d know exactly where I was headed to and it was already pretty troublesome planning the trip outside the room where 4 other Seccys and G. Secs’ could be roaming around. I believed that the worst of my days had come till one day Mr. Hallenstein came up to me looking very happy. I hated it when he was happy. Him happy meant another Hall event where I’d either have to go and play watchguard, or have to go someplace in hiding again. But there was no running away from what was in store for me today. Before I could plan on killing his smile forever by putting a hacksaw in his mouth, the mouth spoke.
            ‘Illu.’